The Remote Power On module will allow PCs, via a signal over the local network, to start up. The requirements for setting up WOL will vary by device please modify instructions as needed per devices present.
The module will attempt to wake a device in different ways:
- Direct to IP
- Local Broadcast (if client is within the same subnet)
- Subnet directed broadcast (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article)
The default port used is 9, but this is customizable if there are specific Hardware requirements.
The SecureON Password is an optional password that if entered will be appended to the Magic Packet. It will have to be in the from of a MAC address (AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF) and is only required if a SecureON password has been set on the device.
A Relay machine will need to be set up with access to the network segments containing the device attempting to Wake (a server is typically recommended as it would likely have access to any VLANS present)
SETTING UP THE RELAY MACHINE
In the Admin Center of the portal, at least one device will need to have the client installed and then has to be selected and set as the Relay.
1. Select the Device to be used as the relay
2. Click the Edit button above the device list
3. Tick to select the box next to Use as relay to select device to be used
4. Click Confirm
SETTING UP REMOTE POWER ON
There are a few settings that need to be present for the module to work with changes made in the BIOS and from within Windows.
- Available WOL (Wake On LAN)
- WOL enabled Network Card
- Energy Efficient Ethernet has to be de-activated
- Please refer to the System State article from Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if System State needs to be modified.
BIOS CHANGES ON DEVICES TO WAKE
To enter the BIOS settings, look for instructions as you boot your computer for which key to press (F2, Delete, ESC) to enter Setup.
- In the system BIOS navigate to Power Management or Advanced Options to find Wake on LAN/WLAN.
- Activate the Option you wish to use. (Please be aware that Wake on LAN is not available on all system models and in all System states.)
- Go to Deep Sleep Control (if available) and disable the Option.
- Click on Apply and Exit the BIOS.
NETWORK ADAPTER CHANGES
- Open Network and Sharing center
- Click on Change Adapter Settings
- Right-Click on your LAN controller and choose Properties
- Click on Configure
- Under the Advanced Tab, make sure the following options are Enabled (If available)
- Wake on Magic Packet
- Allow this Device to Wake the computer
- Energy Efficient Ethernet ( set this option to Dis-abled)
POWER OPTIONS CHANGES
- Navigate to the Control Panel,
- Then Hardware and Sounds
- Then Select Power Options
- Click on Choose what the power buttons do
- Click change settings that are currently unvailable
- Uncheck Turn on Fast Startup (if available)
- Save Changes
USING THE REMOTE POWER ON MODULE
To use the module, select at least one OFFLINE device to wake from the Senso Console List view and run the Remote Power On module on those device(s)